Battery Reconditioning is a must known thing now a day among a lot of people, here you will find the best methods of Battery Reconditioning but before that, one must know what exactly is Battery Reconditioning.
Nowadays, most of the devices run using direct electricity, and we hardly need any batteries to power up our devices. But still, there are quite a lot of equipment and devices like cars, mobile phones, lights needs batteries. And they are extremely important.
However, the thing with batteries is that we often need to replace them with new ones. And most of us might have one old battery lying somewhere around our place. Also, the thing about replacing batteries is that they cost quite a lot.
But you can easily dodge all the battery purchase expenses by performing battery reconditioning. By reconditioning your old batteries, you will be able to use them as a new battery.
Even you must know the fact that reconditioning batteries is a very easy process, and almost everyone can do it with a little bit of dedication. Also, you will need some equipment and some time.
And in this article, I am going to talk about how battery reconditioning works and how can you get started with this. Sounds good? So let’s just head into the topic without wasting much of the time:
Hybrid battery reconditioning
Hybrid cars are some of the best vehicles one can buy on this planet. And this is because they have two components and pretty easy to use. Hybrid cars main components are the electric motor and the battery. And a single battery can last for about 200.000 miles.
However, if the battery gets damaged under warranty, you will get a free replacement from the company. And in most of cases, hybrid car batteries last longer. So you do not need battery reconditioning.
But, if the warranty gets expired, then you will need to pay for a new battery. And a new hybrid car battery can cost around $1000 or more.
Instead, you can try out battery reconditioning, which would not cost you $1000 at all. Basically, hybrid car batteries come with two modules. Even some car batteries even have more or fewer modules. But technology is based on the same principle. So there will not be any issues.
And to fix a damaged battery, all you will have to do is replace the damaged modules, and you are again all set to use the same battery. The price to fix a damaged battery can be as high as $700, which is definitely inexpensive compared to buying a new battery. And a reconditioned battery will last about 6 to 7 years. So yes, it is a worthy investment you should seriously consider.
Battery Reconditioning a car battery
Car batteries are pretty expensive component of your card. And you can easily avoid that cost by reconditioning your old car battery and making it a brand new one.
However, before you go ahead, you should know the fact that is reconditioning a battery usually has 70% of power just like a new battery. And the good part is that this is enough amount of power that your car needs to function.
Anyway, to get started with the car battery reconditioning, you can follow these steps:
What will you need?
- Distilled water.
- Battery charger.
- A syringe.
Once you have these things, you can go ahead and follow these steps:
- First of all, you will have to remove the battery and remove the rubber that protects the caps.
- Then remove the caps as well. (In some batteries, you might get to see 6-7 caps or less than that. And it is extremely important that you are removing all of the caps.)
- After that, you will need to fill up the battery with the distilled water and recharge it. You should also know that you should not put the caps back.
- Make sure to charge the battery for one hour, and you will get to see bubbles coming out of the holes.
- In case if you see no bubbles. Then you will have to reverse the negative and positive wires and wait for 2 minutes. And after that, you should see the bubbles. After that, reverse the wires to the correct position and recharge the battery for an additional 30 minutes.
- Moreover, you can also try replacing the acid inside the battery and mix a new acid with distilled water. Then recharge the battery for a few years. If everything works, you will get a new battery without spending a single penny.
Battery Reconditioning a laptop battery
The laptop battery is one of the common things that gets damaged pretty soon. And the good part is that reconditioning laptop battery is a pretty easy job and there are quite a lot of ways to do so. However, some of the methods might be time consuming.
Recondioning old laptop batteries one of the wise ideas you can follow. Because new laptop batteries can be expensive, and in most of the cases, you do not get a suitable replacement battery for your laptop.
But you can easily recondition your laptop battery by following some of the easy steps. Also, on the other hand, laptop batteries can be removable and non-removable ones. But it does not matter what kind of laptop battery you have. You will be able to fix them by following the below steps. So go ahead and follow them:
- First of all, remove the battery from your laptop and place it in a plastic bag.
- After that, place the battery in the freezer and wait for about 12 hours. Then remove it from the bag and clean it.
- Then connect the battery to the laptop and charge it.
- In case, if the battery is not leaking, then there is no acid in it. And there is a high chance that your battery will get recovered. Also, you have to follow the same steps multiple times, and your laptop battery should start working like a new one.
There are some laptop batteries that need to be reset in order to bring the battery life back. And this is a pretty simple solution that you can try out. But it does not have a high success rate.
In this method, we will be recalibrating the laptop’s battery instead of reconditioning it. Also, according to some people, it is an effective solution. So go ahead and follow these steps:
- First of all, recharge the battery until it is 100% full and then leave the laptop for 2-3 hours.
- Then leave the laptop unplugged and wait until the battery is completely empty, and your laptop is turned off.
- Next, leave the laptop in this state for about 5 hours.
- Then recharge the battery to 100% once again. And by doing all these steps, you will be able to increase the battery life of your battery.
You will also be able to fix your laptop battery by reducing the temperature of your laptop. As it seems to have a positive effect on battery life. All you have to do is buy a cooler and place it under your laptop.
This would help in reducing the temperature of the battery and the laptop. As a result, your laptop battery will last longer. Also, you must try this thing out in summer.
This is one of the effective methods that you can try out. However, this process takes a lot of time. And in this method, you will need to plug in your battery and wait for the battery to get 100% full.
After that, wait for the battery to get almost empty and come down to 5%. Then plugin in the charger and start recharging it again.
You will need to follow these steps multiple times, and your battery will have a better battery life that you can use for several months.
This solution might seem very weird to you. But it is extremely easy to get started with. Also, you should know that this would only work if your laptop has a removable battery.
So first of all, you will need to plug in the charger and let the laptop get charged. When the battery is completely full, remove it from your laptop. And in case, if your laptop can’t function without a battery, then this method is not for you. On the other side, if it can, use, then the laptop battery will be increased.
This is because, when you are doing this step, you will stop the chemical process in the battery and you will reset it. As a result, your battery will be able to recharge a lot better and stay full for a longer period of time.
Battery Reconditioning NiCad Batteries
You can also recondition Nicad batteries. However, you should first know why your NiCad batteries got damaged.
Mainly Nicad batteries get damaged because of the sulfur crystals that eventually reach both terminals, and it prevents charging. And this issue can be solved pretty easily. And as a result, your batteries will last for a longer time. To get started with this, you will need to follow these steps:
- First of all, you will need a flash camera capacitor. There are quite a lot of cheap cameras that are available in the market which can be dissembled, and you can use their parts. Also, you will need to know what a capacitor is, and for this, you can do Google.
- Along with that, you will need a battery holder and switch to the capacitor. Then stick the wires to the big black cylinder and connect them to the battery holder and a switch.
- Make sure to insulate all the wires properly. And you should not touch any part that can conduct electricity.
- After that, place an alkaline battery into the capacitor and the NiCad battery into the holder.
- Now simply press the switch and wait for the LED to glow.
- Also, you will need to repeat the step multiple times. Also, you should know that you will get to hear sound. This is because the sulfur crystals are getting destroyed, and your battery can be used again.
Once you create this gadget, you will be able to recondition your NiCad batteries for a lifetime. Although the steps might seem complicated. But they are pretty easy to follow. Even, there are quite a lot of YouTube videos available out there which can help you to get started with this.
Frequently Asked Questions And Answers:
Can you really recondition old batteries?
Yes, it is absolutely true that you can recondition old batteries. Even there are quite a lot of agencies or shops that purchase old batteries. And this is because they want to recondition the batteries and resell them or use them.
How many times should we recondition a battery?
You should not recondition a battery more than three or four times. Of course, by reconditioning a battery, you will be able to use it for quite a lot of time. But overdoing it can damage the battery completely and your equipment or device too.
How long will a reconditioned car battery last?
A reconditioned car battery can last anywhere between 5 to 7 years with proper maintenance. Also, it depends on the condition of the battery. If it is nearly damaged, then it can offer you 6 to 7 years of battery life easily. But if the condition is bad, you might not even get 5 years of battery life.
What does reconditioning a battery do?
By reconditioning a battery, you will be able to restore the capacity of the battery. As a result, it will increase the lifespan of the battery.
So that was all for your question of how battery reconditioning works and how to do so. Now go ahead and try reconditioning a battery by yourself and check if it is working for you or not. Also, for any questions, do feel free to comment below, and I will help you out.